Friday, March 23, 2012

Communication...?

JasonSWrench,(2009) Transactional Model of Communication.
Retrieved March 23,2012 from:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/
Transactional_comm_model.jpg/320px-Transactional_comm_model.jpg



Communication is defined as the activity of conveying information. There are three parts, which are senders, sources(messages) and recivers. Senders send messages to recivers, and then recivers give the feedback, in other words, somehow, recivers also can be senders. 


Creature can’t live without communication, and it has many types, like face-to-face talk, online chat, and so on. When I was a kid, I just considered communication as simple face-to-face talk. In my opinion, communication is simply talking to someone. There should be at less two people to do this activity. People who are involved in communication say what they want to share with others, and obtain what they like. During this process, everyone outputs messages and inputs information at the same time. For the content, they can talk about what the next season business project is, or how to manage their garden, or even what their pet eat for this moring. People can talk about whatever they like.
Devidy Pet Warehouse
Retrieved March 23,2012 from:
http://www.devidypetwarehouse.com/v/vspfiles/
assets/images/dog%20cat%20bowl.jpg


However, communication should not be as simple as face-to-face talk, but it can be online chat (long distance talk) or other forms of exchanging information. In our generation, everyone is capable of searching internet, we prefer chat with others by Facebook, MSN, or Twitter instead of in person. We can talk with someone we know, or someone who is completely strange to us. Twitter is a good example. On the one hand, people tweet about their ideas, opinions, or what they are doing, on the other hand, they also gain new information they interested from reading tweets. By searching with # hashtag, I can know how a restaurant is, where to buy a cheap fancy shirt and the result of a dodgeball game and so on. My friend Brenda is sharing her experience about Twitter in her blog named "Confession of a Twitter Skeptic", if you are willing to read, you can go and enjoy.

In addition, reading and writing also can be considered as a type of communication. An author writing an article is a way of showing his opinions or feelings about something, while a reader reading this article is to obtain the author's opinions or feelings. Based on what he gains, the reader may have their own idea about this certain thing and he may make feedback to the author. In a sentence, communication should have the exchange of information.

Now, I am a CSL student and volunteering with University of Alberta Campus Food Bank(CFB), I  should do four class presentations per month to let more students know about our CFB. I think class presentation is another way of communication, since students know more about our services and how to get involved after we presenting.

All in all, communication is sending and receiving information, it has many forms, and we can't live without it!


Watch out ! You are reading my blog, so you and I are having communication NOW !
Sephora.(2009) Funny Hello
Retrieved March 23,2012 from:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9hZgtwqwUio/TndEmHHfFeI/AAAAAAAAAIY/
v8zDLKapiSE/s1600/hello.png

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nian Liu, I like how you broke down communication into three distinct parts. I think it is funny how sometimes we may not think about each part when we decide to converse with someone online. On Twitter and Facebook it is important that I remember I have an audience and they should recieve a clear, concise message (tweet). I think working as a CSL volunteer has helped me learn alot about Tweeting effectively on our organizations Twitter account, I hope the CSL work you are doing is adding confidence to your communication skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your blog design! It looks pretty and attractive. All the colours match very well, which makes people feel comfortable. When I first saw your blog posts, I felt that they were somewhat like posters. I think it looks creative and professional. I suggest that you can change your words to a bigger size. You pointed out a very good idea here---"communication should have the exchange of information". According to this sentence, you derived 3 types of communication. I think as long as there is an exchange of idea and information, it is communication, regardless of the forms.

      Delete
  2. I love all the images you utilize in this post, as well as all your other posts! They really caught my attention and kept up my interest throughout your post. The way you broke communication down into three different types. It made it easier to follow what you were saying. It also gave me a new viewpoint, I never considered breaking communication down into sections, so that's a really interesting way to look at it! Your writing is very professional and I feel that I am leaving this page with more information and a different viewpoint than when I started. Thanks for the great post! Good luck with your future food bank presentations; that's awesome you have such an active role that heavily relies on good communication skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nian, I saw the comment you made on my blog post, so I came to pay your blog a visit, and I was attracted by your creative posts. The pictures you used are quite lovely, and the design of your blog is good at catching the readers’ eyes. I agree that communication can take place in various forms, and it reminded me that communication could even happen without words such as gestures. As we commented on each other’s blog, we were also applying the communication theories. Hopefully, we will take another food class together in the future and be classmates again.

    ReplyDelete